I’m flying to Oakland to pick up my Golden Retriever tomorrow morning! I’ve raised a lot of puppies, but only one that became my very own search dog. I must admit, this is more stressful for me than puppy raising for someone else! It’s my money, my pick, my dog to rehome/not fall in love […]
I’ve been training search dogs for ten years, and I’ve never been close to going out the door. With all of the hurricanes in August and September, there was talk of going to help, but I didn’t focus on it. There had been talk before. So, when I got a phone call from Chief McKinster […]
1) Canine Hope for Diabetics held a graduation ceremony for Sherlock and three other diabetic alert dogs at the end of October. There was cake, a certificate and lots of pictures. I made this video of Sherlock to share with everyone at the graduation! Hope you enjoy it!
When I was a kid, picking out a dog was simple. We drove to the pound, I found a Cocker Spaniel, took her home and named her Lady. Now, the process is more complicated. Kinsey turned seven over the summer, and the sad truth is that a search dog only works until about ten years […]
My house was built in 1986. When I moved in ten years ago the kitchen was original, and not in a good way. I cook quite a bit, so it only got worse. Chunks of tile cracked and fell off. The cupboards became discolored with water stains. To turn the faucet off you had to […]
Welcome! I'm Katrina!
I've been obsessed with training up the perfect dog ever since I can remember. Books, obedience classes in the park, anything to learn about dogs. I grew up with Dobermans, but lately I'm in love with Labs and Goldens. In the last ten years, I've focused on competitive obedience, training search and rescue dogs and diabetic alert dogs.
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Top Ten Posts
- Scent Training: First Steps with a Diabetic Alert…
- Sherlock: Diabetic Alert Dog Update
- Improving Your Dog’s Strength and Flexibility
- Product Review: Dog Crates
- Service Dog on the Loose at Universal Studios
- Dog Training: Teaching Focus
- Hiking with Dogs: Gear
- Review: Dog Collars
- Crate Training: The Life Long Benefit
- Colorado Open Training Weekend (Video)